An overwhelming majority of the care provided to allow older adults to remain independent in their homes is provided by unpaid caregivers. Spouses, adult children, or other members of the support network provide assistance with personal care, home management, medical needs and supervision. As the needs of a frail elderly increase so do the caregiver responsibilities it takes on their primary caregiver. Temporary periods of relief from caregiving responsibility are helpful in restoring the caregiver’s ability and allowing them to continue providing for the need of their family members. Respite care provides a caregiver the opportunity to focus on things that will leave them feeling more restful, balanced, and it reduces the stress that caregivers can be under when caring for an older adult.
In our region local providers offer services such as in-home aide programs, senior companion programs, support groups, respite voucher programs, and day programs for older adults. Please contact your local provider for services offered in your county today.
Local Family Caregiver Support Contacts:
- Craven County Department of Social Services: 252-636-4900
- Coastal Community Action, Inc. Senior Companion Program: 252-223-1630
- Wayne County Senior Center: 919-731-1591
- Duplin County Service for the Aged: 910-296-2140
- Lenoir County Council on Aging: 252-527-1545
- Greene County Department of Social Services: 252-747-5932
- Onslow Senior Services: 910-455-2747
For more information about this program contact:
Human Services Planner/Family Caregiver Support